Friday 20 January 2012

All about actions and reactions


Sometimes it so happens that some event of your life becomes so imbibed into your mind that you cannot forget it no matter how much you  yearn to run away from it, you just cannot forget it  and it grows silently, unknown to your mind from its stature of just being a part of your memory to become a part of your personality, and this event gains even more importance when it becomes a juncture  where you get to learn something new, something closer, related to an instinct that lies beneath you, buried among the folds of your humanity, waiting, in anticipation for its outburst.  I remember one such day of my life ,the moment when I realized this instinct of mine and to be honest it came to me as a surprise, getting on to the part of describing the event ,I would like to start off from the point where I was standing on that  railway platform, all alone, afraid and completely lost among a crowd of strangers, (for those who have experienced this must  be knowing how horrifying this situation could be) I looked around in despair, afraid to accept that I was afraid, I dabbed at the large drops of sweat that had materialized on my forehead with my kerchief, which as a matter of fact was something weird as it was an early morning in the month of January and it should probably have been a cold day, but I suppose some days are “volatile”. Getting  back to the topic, the issue, as it should be seen was, I was profusely sweating, and with the sweaty kerchief still crumpled in my hands I clutched on to the strap of my bag as if it were some kind of a magical object and my clutching of it would give me strength to face the ordeal which I had to undergo or at least lessen its effect, but as it always happens when you need your luck the most, it dries up and you are left all alone to face the adverse effects of your destiny, and that day was something of similar kind. If someone were to record my emotional complexities at that particular moment, the person would notice a very a particular and peculiar fluctuations between my emotions which at the present moment am not able to recreate here within the framework of this write- up.  Going back to that day, I was tense, I took a long breath so as to ease my nerves but then it seems that I must have smelled something foul and instead of getting relief I edged on more to the side of disturbance, the tension was high. I observed or I suppose I felt that people were staring at me, perhaps they found me to be weird, you know, you actually look weird if you were found sweating on cold chilly winter morning, maybe I was wrong, people perhaps never notice such trivial things, maybe it was my tension, they must have caught a whiff of it. Yes that might have been the thing; our natural animal instinct to recognize fear and this fear of mine was rooted in the fact that I was supposed to travel in a train, now travelling as a word seems very beautiful, in fact enjoyable, but then travelling in Mumbai is not a child’s play and to top it all if it’s your first time, when you are actually travelling in a Mumbai local train, commuting all by yourself at the peak hours, adds up to your problems.
  Now that I have mentioned my problem I can move on further to describe the event, as I mentioned earlier, I was tense, perspiring, petrified (I could go on to add up such adjectives, but then I think the ones mentioned should suffice to describe the essence of the situation). I looked around, there were a lot of people, of all sizes and statures, coming from different backgrounds, but most of them had one thing in common they were all “the regular commuters”,  they all seemed meditative, peaceful, like those wise men who claim to have attained “nirvana”, but I think I should also mention that there was a difference in their composed looks, I suppose they were not actually meditative but were being calculative like a Spartan warrior, armed with their bags, mobiles, dressed up in formal, semi-formal dresses, uniforms and casual attires, digesting the situation and planning their modus operandi. I was able to sense their coldness, their animalism, lying in anticipation for the precise moment, I could see it in their eyes, bright like a shining star, they were calm and composed but they were alert, each and every move that they performed was with careful evaluation (a chill runs down my spine when I recount these details here but then that was the truth). I tried to pacify my tense mind, wiped my sweaty forehead and awaited for the train to come, and there it came crawling into the platform filled with people, groaning and creaking like an old python which just had its fill, the atmosphere of the platform changed drastically, the tranquility was damaged by the excitement, people broke off from their peaceful attire they got themselves readied and like a warrior who flashes his shield in front of him the modern day warriors jutted out their bags, tightened its grip around their shoulders, crouched and  positioned themselves. Eyes filled with malice and determination focusing on the train which crept slowly into the platform, they were ready to jump into action and before the train could actually come to a halt, these people pounced, like hungry animals, mincing and hacking everything that came in their way. For a moment I stood aloof from them afraid, shocked to see the massacre, I was almost stunted, but then something strange happened, something very weird, I don’t know what got into me and I just jumped up with a loud blood curdling cry, pushed into the crowd, they were many in numbers trying to push me back, throw me out, but I punched and dislocated someone’s jaw, kicked someone, bit someone’s hands and to be honest I even tried strangling some person, but let me tell you Sir Isaac Newton was very honest when he put forth his 3rd law of motion, you know the one with the “action” and “ reaction” thing. My actions were not free from reactions, by the time I had entered the train and found myself a microscopic spot to rest, I suppose I had two-three cracked ribs and my lips swollen, but then I was comforted, at least I could catch my train, even with all the hassle and bruises, I heaved a sigh of relief, took the freedom of lamenting about the philosophical issues of lack morality and kindness in human actions, but suddenly my happiness drained away, bringing me back to the state of nervousness and anxiety, as now I had to worry about getting out of this jam packed train, again I had to rely on my animal instinct to get me out .



No comments:

Post a Comment